November is here (it’s moving right along!) and with it, shorter days and longer nights. The sunrises seem to glow a brighter pink, the sunsets seem more golden.
I find myself looking around at the remaining leaves on branches, the way the colors are more subdued but still beautiful, and how the sky seems such a brilliant, bright blue. On days like this, I feel so incredibly thankful.
November is usually a month we focus on gratitude here at Ashley’s Pastries. I haven’t given that up – I’m still tracking my 30 days of thankfulness – and I’m being intentional about finding the good in everyday (it’s always there!) even on the days that feel hard or sad or frustrating.
The holidays are right around the corner. Afterall, it almost feels as if Christmas is next week with all of the Black Friday specials and Christmas decorations. It comes earlier and earlier each year, doesn’t it?
We aren’t skipping straight to Christmas here at Ashley’s. Thanksgiving is next week and this is a holiday we love! We love all the holidays, honestly, and we are taking time to slow down and savor and appreciate all the little things this year. Time seems to be going faster and faster, and we want to make sure we’re not missing the little things each day. With such busy days and weeks and months, if we aren’t careful and intentional, the simple things get lost in the shuffle.
As we lean into the second half of November, we encourage you to join us in completing small acts of kindness – little things we can do to help others. And we do mean simple, little acts that might be able to brighten someone’s day or help out a stranger or give back to a neighbor.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Rake leaves for an elderly neighbor.
- Return the grocery cart at the store.
- Send a handwritten note.
- Bring a friend a cup of coffee.
- Schedule a date night with your spouse.
- Take your kids out for a donut before school.
- Call your mom or dad.
- Surprise a sibling with a favorite cookie from Ashley’s.
- Bring a coworker a glazed croissant.
- Send in a Raspberry Danish to your student’s teacher.
- Tuck a note in your son or daughter’s lunchbox.
- Offer to walk the neighbor’s dog.
- Babysit for a friend so she can run errands.
- Pay for someone’s order behind you in the drive thru line.
- Make a donation to a favorite charity.
- Hold the door open for the person behind you.
- Give someone a compliment.
What would you add to the list? Let us know!