Freedom, fireworks, family and friends… essential elements to celebrating the Fourth of July. This summer holiday is just days away and we believe it’s going to be a festive one this year!
It seems everyone is ready to gather again, and connect with others over food and fun.
If you’re making plans for a backyard BBQ, don’t forget to stop by Ashley’s to pick up fresh baked buns for your hot dogs and hamburgers.
We also have a wide variety of patriotic treats to help bring the red, white and blue to any party or picnic this weekend. You can swing by to pick up an assortment of cookies in our cases, or give us a call to place your order for a festive cake or seasonal pie.
If you’d like to try your hand at baking a treat, we have an easy dessert recipe to try: an American flag cake!
You can bake a simple white cake, frost with white icing and top with plump, fresh blueberries and sweet strawberries.
We like this recipe from The Food Network for a classic white cake:
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape bowl and beater often.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth top with a metal spatula.
- Bake cake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool in a pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, cover the top with icing.
- Decorate with blueberries and strawberries to make a flag. Place blueberries in a rectangular pattern in the upper left corner. Slice strawberries and line horizontally to make the flag’s stripes.
We promise not only will this cake look good, but it’ll taste good, too!
After you enjoy a slice of a patriotic treat, you may want to check out a fireways display. Multiple locations are hosting fireworks displays. RiverScape Metro Park is hosting the Lights in Flight Festival and Fireworks on Saturday. You can catch the City of Ketterings Fireworks – Go 4th! on Sunday, July 4th at Delco Park. There will also be Americana Fireworks at Centerville High School on July 4th.
We hope you have a fun, safe and happy fourth!