Time to break out the red, white and blue! Summer is in full swing, and this week we celebrate the 4th of July. Can you believe it’s here already? Seems like we were just talking about the never-ending winter. If you’re like us, you’ll be spending this week relaxing and enjoying some time off while celebrating Independence Day.
Just a friendly reminder that Ashley’s Pastries will be closed for the upcoming week. We’ll reopen on Tuesday, July 10.
Because we’re in the vacation mindset, we thought we’d share some fun but simple ideas for your star-spangled celebrations. Whether you’re hosting a big bash, organizing a neighborhood potluck or just keeping it low-key with immediate family, there are a lot of easy-peasy ways to decorate, bake and celebrate America. We’re all about keeping it simple right now!
If you want to make a statement for the holiday, we have an easy dessert recipe to try: an American flag cake! You can bake a simple white cake, frost with white icing and top with blueberries and strawberries.
We like this recipe from The Food Network for a classic white cake:
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape bowl and beater often.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a metal spatula.
- Bake cake about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.
- When cake is cool, cover top with icing.
- Decorate with blueberries and strawberries to make a flag. Place blueberries in a rectangular pattern in upper left corner. Slice strawberries and line horizontally to make the flag’s stripes.
We promise this cake will not only look good, but it’ll taste good, too.
Need easy decor to add some patriotism to your house? Pick up some small American flags and put a few in your flower pots on the front porch. You can also plop a few in your flower beds to make your yard look festive.
Want something even easier? Let your flag fly! Simply putting an American flag out makes your house ready for the 4th.
Pick up some sparklers and light up the sky for the holiday. Sparklers are inexpensive – you can pick up almost anywhere so throw a few in your cart when you’re at the grocery picking up picnic supplies. It’s fun to twirl the blazing wands in the night sky whether your a kid or an adult!
We hope you have a great week and enjoy celebrating America. Happy July everyone!