Happy February! There may be white snow lingering on the ground, but this month is dominated by red and pink. And the red isn’t just tied to Valentine’s Day, which is right around the corner, if you can believe it.This month is all about cherries. Yes, you read that right – February is Cherry Month.
What’s not to love about this delicious fruit? Cherries are great to bake with, they bring great color to your table and of course, they taste yummy to your tummy.
Tips for baking with cherries
Have you always wanted to bake with cherries but feel a little intimidated? What makes a good cherry to buy? Do you just clean, cut and toss into your cookie dough? If you feel like spending some time in the kitchen whipping up some cherry treats, we can help answer these questions and address your concerns with a few tips.
- When shopping for cherries, look for ones that are plump, shiny and firm. You also want to make sure the cherries have green stems.
- Invest in a cherry pitter! This will make baking a whole lot easier. You can find them anywhere you buy kitchen supplies. Amazon also has a wide selection and most cost less than $20.
- If you’re following a recipe, keep this in mind: one pound of whole cherries = 2 ½ cups of pitted cherries.
- Cook your cherries for about three minutes, or until they are softened. This will give you the best results.
- Cherries can be added to so many different baking treats – muffins, cookies, breads, pies and more. Get a little creative in the kitchen and have fun with it!
A true super fruit
Not only do cherries taste delicious, but this little red fruit is quite the super fruit. Packed with antioxidants, it has some great health benefits. Cherries can help you sleep better, slow the aging of your skin, and relieve joint pain, just to name a few. Learn more about the benefits of this fruit here.
Ashley’s cherry treats
If you’re not quite ready to attempt baking some cherry goodness yourself, don’t worry. You can still celebrate Cherry Month with yummy treats – just let us do the baking for you! On the menu this month is streusel, cherry pies, coffee cakes, cherry-chip cookies, cherry cupcakes, Black Forest cake and so much more. Stop by our shop to see what we’ve got ready to go or give us a call to place an order for something special!